Home > Transfer Services

Transfer Services

PCCC and Transfer Services are working hard to help make your transition to a four-year college a smooth, positive experience! A successful transfer requires careful research and planning. We offer resources to help you navigate the  transfer process successfully.

Transfer Basics

Select a PCCC associate degree that prepares you to transfer into your major at the four-year college or university.

Take your classes seriously…your GPA is VERY important!

Understand and fulfill the admission requirements for the colleges you want to apply to.

Pay close attention to application deadlines…admission and financial aid deadlines vary at every college.

Carefully complete your transfer admission application…. missing information will delay your admission decision.

Request official PCCC transcripts to be sent directly to the colleges…this is your responsibility.

The college or university will notify you of their admission decision after your application has been completed and reviewed.

Diana Garay transferred to Rutgers Newark with a full-tuition scholarship award. “PCCC lit my path. For the first time in my life, I had the desire to do something important with my future – to find a way to help people.”

Diana Garay, Liberal Arts

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I start preparing for my transfer?

The earlier the better. Admission requirements, academic programs and application deadlines vary college by college, so a successful transfer will require careful research and academic planning. Once you have selected your major you can begin identifying colleges or universities that will meet your needs and interests.

Do I need to graduate before I transfer?

While in most cases it is not necessary to graduate before transferring, there are definite benefits to doing so…personal satisfaction, lower tuition costs, and a stronger transfer application to name just a few. Students planning to transfer to a New Jersey state college or university and benefit from the Statewide Transfer Agreement must complete an AA or AS degree and continue in the same field of study. If your major is covered by an articulation agreement with the college you are transferring to, you will need to graduate to benefit from it. If completing an associate degree is not in your plans you should complete a minimum of 30 college level credits. This does not include remedial or basic skill coursework.

What is the State-Wide Transfer Agreement?

Students who graduate with an AA or AS degree and transfer to a New Jersey public college or university will transfer with half of the basic bachelor degree completed, but there are some guidelines you should be aware of. Major to major transfer will work best, you should select an academic program at PCCC which prepares you for the major you want to pursue. Students must have their degree completed prior to transferring to the public college or university. Some majors at the university will take more than an additional two years to complete because they require more than 120-128 credits. (Architecture, Engineering, Physical Education are some examples) The agreement does not apply to private colleges and universities.

Am I guaranteed admission to a university if I complete and associate degree?

No, you must still meet the admission requirements for the institutions you apply to.

What happens if I change my major when I transfer?

If you change your major when you transfer, it is possible that some of the courses you completed here at PCCC will not fulfill requirements in your new major.

Where can I get transfer admission applications?

You will find applications for many colleges in the area at the Career and Transfer Resource Library in the Center for Student Success. For some colleges (Rutgers, Montclair, NJIT) it will be necessary for you to apply online at their website.

How do I arrange to have MyPCCC transcripts sent to the college I am applying to?

You will need to go to the Registrar’s Office to fill out a transcript request form. They will send an official copy of your PCCC transcript directly to the institution you specify. If you attended other colleges prior to enrolling at PCCC, you will need to contact them directly to have your transcripts sent.

Are there scholarships available for transfer students?

Many colleges and universities offer merit-based scholarships to high achieving transfer students. While requirements vary, typically you will need to complete an AA or AS degree and have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or better to be considered for a scholarship. Membership in Phi Theta Kappa and/or extensive community service or leadership experience will improve your chances of receiving a transfer scholarship. Since many colleges and universities have a separate scholarship application, you should research possible scholarships at least one year before transferring.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions about the transfer process?

Click here for Transfer Counseling and answers to your questions.

Contact Us

To schedule an appointment,
please email [email protected]
or call 973-684-5664