One College Blvd.
Paterson, NJ 07505
Licensure and Certification
The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists is the national certification agency for radiographers. In order to obtain a radiographer’s license, an applicant must pass the national certification examination and fulfill all licensure requirements listed below.
National Certification Examination
Only upon successful completion of the program’s didactic and clinical requirements, will the student be eligible to take the national certification examination, The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) Certification Examination.
After passing the examination, the radiographer will then be permitted to use the letters R.T.R. (Registered Technologist, Radiography), after his or her name.
Students who apply to take the certification examination in New Jersey must be aware of the Radiologic Technologist Licensure statute.
Licensure Requirements for All Operators of Medical X-Ray Equipment:
- Licensure is a requirement for all technologists to work in the state of New Jersey.
- Licenses may be obtained through the State of New Jersey, Department of Environmental protection.
- Holders of ARRT Certification must also possess a current New Jersey license.
- After passing the ARRT examination, students must submit a copy of their current ARRT card and application to: Bureau of Collections and Licensing and Management Services
- Once the documentation is received a permanent license will be issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.